We’re thrilled to be partnering with our good friend Matty Matheson on his show Just a Dash. Here’s Matty Matheson’s chicken fried steak recipe from Episode 11.
For the steak
1 ribeye steak cut into three 1/4-inch thin slices
Salt and pepper
4 cups flour
1 teaspoon cayenne
3 tablespoons poultry seasoning
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon Old Bay brand seasoning
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 teaspoon hot sauce
2 to 3 cups canola oil
For the chicken gravy
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
2 cups chicken stock
2 tablespoons poultry seasoning
1 tablespoon fresh cracked pepper
1. Tenderize the steaks with a beef tenderizer until about 1/8-inch thick. Season both
sides with salt and pepper.
2. Whisk flour with cayenne, poultry seasoning, garlic powder, Old Bay seasoning, and
onion powder in a large baking dish.
3. Whisk eggs with hot sauce in another baking dish.
4.One at a time, dredge the steaks in flour mixture, then in egg mixture, and the back
into the flour mixture, ensuring that the steaks fully coated.
5. Pour enough oil into a large frying so that its about 1-inch deep. Heat over medium
high, until oil temperature reaches 350 degrees F. Fry steaks one at a time until golden and
cooked through, about 3 minutes per side. Season with salt and pepper.
6. To make the gravy, melt the butter in a small pot over medium heat then add in the
flour. Stir with a wooden spoon until golden brown.
7. Pour in chicken stock and whisk until smooth. Add in poultry seasoning and fresh
cracked pepper. Continue to heat until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
8. Serve chicken fried steak with gravy, creamed corn, and mashed potatoes.