Yields 4 servings/Time 5-6 hours
We’re thrilled to be partnering with our good friend Matty Matheson on his show Just a Dash. Here’s Matty Matheson’s lamb neck taco recipe from Episode 10.
You will need:
For the lamb neck agrodolce
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 lamb neck
3 cups beef stock
1 white onion, thinly sliced
1 cubanelle pepper, thinly sliced
1 jalapeno, thinly sliced
1 long green pepper, thinly sliced
1 cup sugar
1 cup red wine vinegar
For the flour tortillas
2 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup lard
½ cup hot water
For the crema
1/2 cup creme fraiche
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1 stalk finely diced celery
Zest and juice of 1 lime
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven. Sear lamb neck until golden brown on all sides, about 10 minutes. Pour beef stock into the pot and bring up to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and cook until lamb is cooked through and tender enough to fall off the bone, about 3 hours.
- Remove lamb neck from pot and set aside. Increase heat to medium-high. Place onion, peppers, sugar, and vinegar in the pot with residual stock. Cook until vegetables are tender and sauce has thickened, about 20 minutes, stirring every few minutes.
- Shred the lamb meat and stir into the agrodolce sauce.
- To make the tortillas, mix the flour, salt, and baking powder in a bowl. Using your fingers, work lard into the flour mixture until mixture is even and crumbly. Pour in hot water and mix until a soft dough forms. Knead dough into a ball and divide into 10 equal portions. Roll portions into small balls. Cover with a dish towel and let rest for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the crema by mixing the ingredients in a bowl.
- To roll out the tortillas, cut open the side edges of a large zip lock bag. Place one ball of dough in the center. Close the bag and roll into a thin sheet. Remove and set aside. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Heat a pan over medium heat. Place one tortilla in the pan and cook until slightly brown, but still soft, about 30 seconds on each side. Store in a towel until ready to serve. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Place lamb agrodolce in a tortilla and top with a dollop of crema.