Yields 2 servings/Time 30 minutes
A flap steak is an inexpensive cut that has great grain and flavor, takes well to marinades, and reheats well for leftovers. For this recipe, you’ll sear the steaks simply and finish by butter basting in the pan with garlic and thyme. The two side dishes really make this simple weeknight meal shine: an array of bitter greens seasoned with lemon zest, and cauliflower puree with flavors imparted from garlic, bay leaves, and butter.
You will need:
2 flap steaks
1 head cauliflower, core and leaves removed
½ cup cider vinegar
2 tablespoons honey
3 to 4 bay leaves
8 to 10 sprigs thyme
6 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
4 tablespoons butter, softened
1 tablespoon cooking oil
½ pound spinach
1 cup dandelion greens, chopped
1 cup kale, chopped
2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1 lemon, juiced and zested
Salt and pepper
- Salt steaks liberally and set aside to come to room temperature. Meanwhile, place cauliflower, vinegar, honey, 2 bay leaves, 4 cloves garlic, and 5 sprigs of thyme in a large pot. Cover with water. Add salt and bring to a boil over high heat and cook until tender, about 20 minutes. Strain cauliflower, reserving cooking liquid.
- Remove bay leaves, thyme, and garlic, then place cauliflower and enough cooking liquid to puree, about 1/2 a cup, in a large blender. While blending, add of softened butter, one tablespoon at a time. Season with salt and pepper then set aside.
- Cook the steaks. Heat 2 teaspoons cooking oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, then turn the heat to high, and sear steaks about 4 to 5 minutes per side. Reduce heat to a low flame, add 2 tablespoons butter, remaining bay leaves, thyme, and smashed garlic to the pan. Lightly tilt the pan towards yourself and baste the steak with the foaming butter. Remove steaks from pan, and let rest 5-6 minutes.
- Next, wilt greens. Wipe out the steak pan with a dry cloth, then place back on the stove over medium heat. Add the remaining teaspoon of cooking oil, saute garlic about 3-4 minutes until it starts to brown. Add spinach, dandelion greens, and kale, saute until wilted, season with lemon juice, zest, salt, and pepper.
- Slice steak and serve with pureed cauliflower and wilted greens.