Yields 4 servings/Time 4.5 hours
We cut beef short ribs into palm-sized cubes, they each contain a little rib bone, and they are fatty in the best way possible. A low and slow cooking method is best to break down this fairly worked muscle into the tender morsels we all crave. For this recipe you’ll braise the ribs with garlic, ginger, and soy sauce. Once in the oven you’ll have plenty of time to work on the cucumber and broccoli salad with a mouthwatering citrus dressing. The whole dish comes together served on a bed of smooth broccoli puree.
You will need:
For the short ribs
1 package short ribs (4 pieces, about 1 ½ pounds)
1 yellow onion, rough chopped
6 cloves garlic, smashed and peeled
1 ½ inch piece of ginger, peeled and rough chopped
4 bay leaves
2 cups lime pickle (recipe to follow)
¼ cup rice wine vinegar
½ cup soy sauce
2 teaspoons allspice berries
1 teaspoon cloves
3 star anise pods
4 cups stock
2 teaspoons cooking oil
For the broccoli salad
2 heads broccoli, florets cut off, stalks reserved
1 cucumber, sliced
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
2 teaspoons chili flakes
4 cloves garlic, thin sliced
½ inch piece ginger, small diced
3 sweet peppers, small diced
2 lemons, juiced
2 limes, juiced
1 grapefruit, juiced
¼ cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
1 tsp sesame oil
Make the Broccoli Salad
- Place broccoli, sweet pepper, and cucumber in a large mixing bowl
- In a large saute pan, heat cooking and sesame oils over medium heat. Toast sesame seeds in oil until slightly colored. Add garlic and ginger, cook 3 minutes. Add vinegar and soy sauce, bring to a simmer.
- Let simmer 2 minutes, remove from heat and stir in citrus juices
- Pour over broccoli and cucumbers, mix well, cover and refrigerate
Make the short ribs
- Preheat oven to 325. Season short ribs liberally with salt
- Heat 2 teaspoons cooking oil over medium heat, sear the fat caps of the short ribs for about 8 minutes until well browned. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add onions to the pan, cook about 10 minutes until well browned, it’s ok for some char to show on the edges .Add garlic and ginger, cook about 5 minutes until very fragrant. Add whole spices, toast 2 minutes.Add vinegar, and soy sauce, bring to a simmer
- Return short ribs to the pan and add bay leaves and stock. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover and braise 4 hours until beef is fork tender
Make the broccoli puree
- Bring 3 cups of heavily salted water to a boil. Add broccoli stalks and garlic and cook in boiling water about 7-8 minutes until tender. Strain broccoli stems and transfer to a blender.
- Puree the stalks on high speed adding butter a tablespoon at a time until smooth
- Season with salt and lemon juice
- Remove short ribs from braising liquid, strain and reserve cooking liquid. Skim fat from the top of the braising liquid. Heat 2 cups cooking liquid in a saucepan over medium heat, reduce 10 minutes, remove from heat and swirl in 2 tablespoons of butter
- Place a spoonful of broccoli puree on each plate. Place 1 short rib on each spoonful of puree, with a pile of salad next to it.
- Spoon a little bit of the cooking liquid over each short rib.