Yields 4 servings/Time 4.5 hours
Pork osso buco deserves more attention, so for Eater’s Club this week, we think you should make this creamy potato soup with pork osso buco. Pork osso buco comes from the bottom of the leg bone. We take the hock and cut it into thinner sections. This is just as delicious but can be easier to cook and portion than an entire hock. For this recipe, you’ll kick back while your oven does all the work, braising the osso buco and breaking it down into tender goodness. After about three hours you’ll remove the pork and potatoes from the pot and puree the rest while slowly adding cream. Recombine all the ingredients and enjoy this luscious, hearty, very delicious soup.
You will need:
2 packages pork osso buco (4 pieces)
1 pound gold potatoes, cut into chunks
1 yellow onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
6 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
1 tablespoon chopped thyme
¼ cup cider vinegar (or any light vinegar)
1 cup cream
1 tablespoon cooking oil
Shredded cheddar cheese (for garnish)
4 scallions, chopped (for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 325 F.
- Salt pork osso buco all over. In a large Dutch oven, heat cooking oil over medium heat. Sear both sides of the osso buco, about 5 minutes per side, remove from pot, and set aside.
- Add onion, celery, carrot, and garlic to the pot, stir and cook about 5 minutes. Pour in cider vinegar, let cook about 2 minutes. Stir in chopped thyme. Add potatoes, and stir.
- Return osso buco to pot, add enough water to just cover everything in the pot, then bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, and braise in the oven until osso buco is fork-tender, about 3 hours.
- Remove osso buco and potatoes from Dutch oven. Using an immersion blender (or regular blender working in batches), puree the liquid and vegetables, while slowly adding in cream until smooth. Return potatoes to the pot, season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Shred osso bucco and incorporate into soup or serve each bowl of soup with a piece of osso buco on the side, garnish with chopped scallions and shredded cheddar