You will need:
5 Yukon gold potatoes, peeled
7 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
1 small onion, finely diced
2 carrots, peeled and finely diced
1 celery stalk, finely diced
1 cup pearl onion, peeled
1 cup cremini mushrooms, diced
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 cup beef stock
Salt and pepper
2 cups leftover diced meat, like braised beef short rib
1/2 cup beef demi glace
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1 cup frozen peas
- Boil potatoes until soft enough to effortlessly pierce with a paring knife, about 30 minutes. Drain.
- Heat a pan over medium-high. Add in 3 tablespoons of butter, onion, carrot, celery pearl onion, and mushrooms. Cook until fragrant and tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add in tomato paste and beef stock. Continue to cook until liquid has reduced by half. Season with salt and pepper
- Stir in meat, demi glace, and parsley.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Gently mash the potatoes with 3 tablespoons butter and season with salt. Continue to mash until mixture is smooth and even.
- Place meat mixture into a baking dish. Cover with mashed potatoes. Using a spatula or fork, hatch a rough pattern into the surface.
- Bake in preheated oven until surface of pie is golden, about 1 hour. Remove from oven and let rest for at least 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt remaining 1 tablespoon of butter in a small pot. Stir in peas until heated through. Serve with shepherd’s pie.
- heated through. Serve with shepherd’s pie.