We’re thrilled to be partnering with our good friend Matty Matheson on his show Just a Dash. Here’s Matty Matheson’s shepherd’s pie recipe from Episode 9.
Just A Dash Episode 9: Matty Matheson’s Shepherd’s Pie
5 Yukon gold potatoes, peeled
7 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
1 small onion, finely diced
2 carrots, peeled and finely diced
1 celery stalk, finely diced
1 cup pearl onion, peeled
1 cup cremini mushrooms, diced
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 cup beef stock
Salt and pepper
2 cups leftover diced meat, like braised beef short rib
1/2 cup beef demi glace
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1 cup frozen peas
1. Boil potatoes until soft enough to effortlessly pierce with a paring knife, about 30
2. Heat a pan over medium-high. Add in 3 tablespoons of butter, onion, carrot, celery
pearl onion, and mushrooms. Cook until fragrant and tender, about 5 minutes.
3. Add in tomato paste and beef stock. Continue to cook until liquid has reduced by
half. Season with salt and pepper
4. Stir in meat, demi glace, and parsley.
5. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
6. Gently mash the potatoes with 3 tablespoons butter and season with salt. Continue to mash until mixture is smooth and even.
7. Place meat mixture into a baking dish. Cover with mashed potatoes. Using a spatula or
fork, hatch a rough pattern into the surface.
8. Bake in preheated oven until surface of pie is golden, about 1 hour. Remove from
oven and let rest for at least 15 minutes.
9. Meanwhile, melt remaining 1 tablespoon of butter in a small pot. Stir in peas until
heated through. Serve with shepherd’s pie.